A foundation to fight cancer.
When we formed the Outer Banks Hospital Development Council in 2005, cancer services across our region were fragmented — and we wanted to do something about it. Our solution? Establish a single location where families in our community could turn for cancer information and support.
Creating the Cancer Resource Center.
After identifying an unfinished office space in the Medical Office Building next to the hospital, our vision for a Cancer Resource Center was set in motion. Starting in 2006, we estimated it would take five years to raise the $250,000 we needed to build out the space, but the community's response was unprecedented. We opened the Cancer Resource Center in just two years.
Help us expand awareness and early detection.
Since our council's inception — and with the help of our generous donors — we've underwritten the following programs and more to expand cancer care on the Outer Banks:
- The Health Coach, a 39' Winnebago bringing vital health screenings at no charge to the community
- Get Pinked! - raising funds to improve breast health and various type of cancer on the Outer Banks
- Lymphedema therapy - to reduce swelling in areas affected by cancer treatment
- The lease of stereotactic breast biopsy equipment
- Purchase of an ultrasound to detect breast and other cancers
- Purchase of a hematology analyzer to detect malignant processes in the body
- Construction of a chemotherapy mixing room at The Outer Banks Hospital
Today, we're working to increase awareness of — and access to screenings for — more types of care. The hospital's recent lung cancer screening program is just one recent example, but we need to do more. We're committed to making early detection top of mind in our community as the best protection against cancer. With your support, we can.
Donate any amount, any way you want.
The OBH Development Council accepts contributions of any amount at any time. In just a few minutes you can help us improve the health of our community by making a donation. Simply write a check payable to OBH Development Council, print our convenient donation form and mail to:Development Office
The Outer Banks Hospital Development Council
4800 S. Croatan Highway
Nags Head, North Carolina 27959
Contact the OBH Director of Development at 252-449-5933 if you're interested in exploring other ways to give, such as:
- Annual gifts
- In memory of an in honor of gifts
- Planned estate giving
- Participation in or help with a special event